Fight InflammationMarch 21, 2019
The Fight Against Inflammation
Inflammation is a natural and necessary part of our immune system...it alerts us to the fact that something is irritating or causing harm to one or more parts of our body. It can be uncomfortable and often painful, but it is attempting to protect us when something is not right.
Nevertheless, if allowed to go untreated, inflammation can cause more harm that benefit. Research has shown that chronic inflammation can lead to:
- Heart disease
The good news is that there are foods, situations and things you can avoid - you can take control of your body and reduce the amount of inflammation you are exposed to on a regular basis.
How to win the fight against inflammation...
Let's examine the food you eat, which foods encourage inflammation and which foods fight it:
- Inflammatory Foods:
- Gluten and Dairy are fast becoming the #1 products that people are becoming intolerant of.
- Sugary drinks such as soda. energy drinks, sweetened teas and fruit drinks.
- Foods high in refined carbohydrates, for example, ice cream (dairy), fruit and fruit juice, starchy vegetables.
- Processed meats such as hamburger and sausage.
- AntiInflammatory Foods: (many of these foods contain omega-3 fats)
- Berries - strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
- Fatty fish - anchovies, makeral, salmon, sardines and herring
- Broccoli & Avocados
- Grapes and Cherries
- Peppers and Tomatoes
- Green tea
- Dark Chocolate and Cocoa
Toxins you come into contact with everyday are a major source of inflammation, it's difficult to avoid some of these:
- Cigarettes and cigarette smoke
- Non-organic fungicides, pesticides and herbicides
- Many medications such as biirth control and antibiotics
- Heavy metals that can be found in fish and in the amalgam fillings in your teeth
- Beauty and cleaning products containing chemicals
- Plastics even those that are BPA
Stress occurs when you mentally, physically or emotionally have a challenge that is particulary difficult to deal with. This causes your immune system to wake up, release stress hormones - cortisol - and then produces inflammation to fight the problem. There are ways to reduce your stress:
- Relax with your favorite kind of music
- Do deep breathing exercises, meditation, or yoga
- Go for a long walk
- Take time for "me"
These are some of the major things that can cause inflammation in your body, and although you can't avoid all of them, by knowing the sources you can lead a healthier life.