Chiropractic After Car CrashMay 2, 2016
Why You Should Get Chiropractic Care After a Car Crash
There are millions of car crashes in the Unites States every year, many of them major in damage and injury. But even those that seem like minor accidents can leave long-term, painful symptoms and/or disabilities for the victims.
Many of these injuries affect the spine, which causes both chronic back and neck pain, possibly for years. One of the most common injuries that people experience is whiplash, caused by a sudden jarring of the head and neck, either side to side, or back to front, causing the spine to be destabilized.
Symptoms of whiplash are:
- Stiff or painful neck
- Headaches, migraines
- Shoulder or arm pain
- Blurred vision
- Lower back pain
- Impeded neck range of motion
Other symptoms that car accident victims experience, but may not relate them to their accident are:
- Painful jaws
- Sleep disturbance
- Weakness in legs and arms
How a Chiropractor can help:
- Chiropractic treatment can reduce inflammation caused when ligaments and muscles get stretched or torn during an accident. These injuries may go undiagnosed by a physician because they don’t show up on MRI’s or X-rays. But as time goes on, and inflammation increases, they will show up in the form of pain.
- Trauma causes inflammation, in the joints, muscles, and ligaments of the spine, affecting function and impairing healing. Chiropractic adjustments mobilize those restricted joints, reduce nerve irritation and stimulate the healing process. The chiropractic adjustment has been shown by research studies to be effective in reducing pain, not just in one place in your body, but throughout your whole body. In a 2011 study, it has been shown in brains scans of people who have had chiropractic adjustments, after an accident, that activity in the area of the brain that processes pain has been lowered, thus lowering the pain that the victims were experiencing. This is a huge benefit for those who have been in a car accident.
- When muscle, tendon, or ligament injuries occur, scar tissue is often created. This scar tissues can be uncomfortable or painful. Chiropractic treatment will focus on the areas that have been traumatized, stretching them and helping to break down the scar tissue.
- Chiropractic treatment is drug-free, a more natural way of dealing with pain and discomfort from an auto accident.
- Making an appointment with a chiropractor as soon as possible after your accident will help you get started right away on the road to recovery and possibly avoid having serious chronic problems or discomfort.
Oftentimes, especially in what seems to be a minor accident, pain and symptoms don’t begin showing up for a few days, sometimes as long as weeks or even months. So, if you have been in a car accident, whether you’re in pain or not, or whether you have seen a physician or not, you should get checked over by a chiropractor.
A great resource for whiplash is the Whiplash Resource Network.