Is a chronic health condition making life miserable?
Hi. I’m Dr. Michael Taggart with the Kirkland Health institute. I’m an expert in functional medicine and neurology and have over 20 years’ experience in helping patients overcome chronic health conditions. I look forward to helping you get your life back! … (read more)
Dr. Taggart treats chronic health conditions
Call (425) 821-1101 to schedule YOUR FREE Consultation
Enjoy our Most Recent Blog Post:
Why Can’t I Lose Weight?
If you are someone who is trying to lose weight, you know how hard you work in the battle against extra pounds.
- You eat good wholesome foods
- You exercise regularly to kick start your metabolism
- If feels like you have tried everything
It seems that nothing helps. And oftentimes you just want to give up. But don’t give up yet, let me share some information with you that may give you renewed hope and encourage you to keep going, but in a new direction.
Why “Fat: is not a bad word
When fat is in the right proportions in your body, it’s a good thing. Stored fat
- is energy
- helps you heal, helps you grow
- is important for brain development
- preventing blood clots
- preventing inflammation
- promotes healthy skin and hair
Everyone needs a certain amount of fat…it’s the excess that needs to be lost.
Your inability to lose that stubborn weight can often be traced back to chronic conditions that you have been struggling with.
Possible Causes of Failure to Lose Weight
- Chronic stress – Most of us associate stress with weight gain, because it appears that when you are under stress you reach for that candy bar or some other comfort food for relief. But it actually goes beyond that…Here’s what happens:
- Your body, when feeling stressed releases a hormone called cortisol which triggers your response of fight or flight to help you cope. And while this is good, cortisol can actually cause weight gain, and inhibit the ability to lose weight. So when you experience chronic stress, the cortisol is continuously in your system causing your weight to increase or be unable to decrease, no matter how hard you are trying.
- Underactive Thyroid – It’s amazing how many people, about 27 million, have thyroid problems, either under or overactive thyroids. And even more amazing, the greatest majority of them aren’t aware that they have thyroid imbalances. Hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid, is a big contributor to either weight gain or being unable to lose weight. Your thyroid regulates your metabolism, so if it is not as active as it should be, your energy levels naturally slow down. There are other symptoms of Hypothyroidism, such as, brain fog, constipation, joint and muscle pain, loss of hair, brain fog and fatigue.
- High Body Toxin Levels – In today’s world it’s not surprising that our bodies are getting filled with toxins, they’re found in the air, our food and water, our cosmetics, shampoos and lotions…they are found everywhere and are hard to escape. Because they don’t belong in our bodies, they act similar to estrogen, disrupt hormonal cycles and can lead to autoimmune disease and make it difficult for us to lose weight.
- Hormone Imbalance – Along with the stress, thyroid and estrogen hormones, there are also other hormones such as testosterone, progesterone, and insulin, that when they are imbalanced stop your ability to lose weight as well as create other unhealthy conditions.
Solutions For Losing Stubborn Weight
I can’t stress enough, that the best thing you can do for yourself is to find out what’s at the root of your inability to lose weight…there is most likely an underlying cause that you’re not aware of as I have listed above. When you discover what that is, you will not only have the ability to become healthier, but you will be able to move toward your healthy weight.
A great place to start is to have a complete Thyroid workup to determine how well your thyroid is functioning
I specialize in Functional Medicine, and I recognize that there are often underlying health issues, and will help you discover what those issues are, address them, and get you on the way to health and your healthy weight naturally.